13 Sept 2010

The Nagoya Grand Sumo Tournament

I went to see the Nagoya Grand Sumo Tournament on July 25th.
In a sumo match, two sumo wrestler wearing only loincloths wrestle in a ring.

It is different from watching it on TV, watching sumo live is really good. I can feel real sounds. The sumo world has recently been shocked by a baseball gambling scandal and Yakuza problem, however the tournament went ahead as planned.


Many tickets were refunded before the Tournament started. Therefore I thought there would be a small audience, but it was not. The gymnasium was full of fans and I even saw bannerrs put up by the gymnasium staff which thanked the audience for attendance. It made me happy.

On the final day, Hakuho won without a single defeat. Then record for winning streak was established and he still hasn't lost.
There voluntarily refused from victory ceremony because of their recent problems. It was very sad, but I hope many fans will continue to support sumo.

Additionally, I was surprised because there were a lot of foreign spectators from different countries. Later I learned there were many tours introducing Japanese culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment